Aug 31, 2012

Bitterness Vs. Thankfulness

     Why is it that once we think of one negative thing about someone it is so easy to go on thinking more negative things about that person?  I wish I knew.  It is so easy to grow bitter in your heart without even realizing it.  We may never show it on the outside, yet our foul thoughts are still there, stealing our joy.
     I have known people who are so good to the people around them go on and on about the people in office and those involved in politics.  Even those in power are individual creations in the image of God too.
   I am very guilty of Bitterness.  This month God has been teaching me and growing me in this area.
   He was first gracious to me and gently showed me the bitterness in the first place.  I had hidden it under a thick layer of self-pity and called it disappointment and injustice.  It was a treasure trove of negative thoughts nonetheless.
   He then called me to repent, apologize where it was necessary, and to throw out all of these thoughts.  I am resolved to not speak unkindly on
   He asked me to refill my heart with joyful thanksgiving, Both towards him and the persons I had formed the original ideas against.  This is normally slow going at first, but God brought things to mind and soon I was filling page after page in my journal with thankfulness.  I have also found that if I am having trouble with bitterness towards someone, praying for them will change my heart toward him.
 
   Since God has changed my heart, I am so much more joyful.  It is scary to think how easily I would have become an angry bitter woman without God redirecting me.  He is so good to me.

    Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
Heb 12:15 (KJV)

  In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
1 Thess 5:18 (KJV)

   

1 comment: