Nov 27, 2012

Grandfather Dake


I ordered this book from a used book dealer online.  

I bought it knowing it was used and loved.

I did not know that it would come with extra treats.


Among them is Grandfather Dake.
L Embury Dake, to be exact.
He was the original owner of the book, which he and his wife received on their first wedding anniversary, August 5th, 1870.
According to the list of names in the front of the book, it was passed down to William E Dake MD, who passed it down to Edward D Dake MD, who passed it down to Edward D Dake II, who is L Embury Dake's great-grandfather. 

I have never written in a book.  I always considered the pages sacred- nothing must be added, nothing must be taken.  This book has made me reconsider this stance.  How exciting it would be for someone to find me in a book?  
Not for me, I must surely be dead by then, but it must be exciting for the other person to know of the book's other owner, for them to know that someone else shared their taste in literature.




No comments:

Post a Comment