Jun 18, 2013

Chicory

To give you an idea of how the garden is coming along, every time my husband goes down to look at it he says "You can't win for losing, huh?".
Something took bites out of the stem of my snowberry, and, though it kept falling over, it is still alive.
Some of the tomatoes started showing signs of blight.  I have diligently been removing any blighted leaves and they seem to be doing tolerably now.
Something ate the leaves of the tomatoes.  I still haven't caught the culprit.
And, on top of it all, we got hail on Saturday.


It broke off the some flowering branches, but the sole tomato escaped unscathed.
 At this rate, we may not get any tomatoes.


Elsewhere on the farm, it's been too wet to hay.

The fields are full of blooming chicory.
The Bird Woman doesn't understand why I love them; she doesn't see their beauty.
They're just weeds in the hay fields that have yet to be sprayed.

But to me they are beautiful.  
Like a blue mist that hovers in the golden stalks.
A bouquet of surreal proportions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment