Aug 11, 2012

Biggest Honor

          I arrived safely in New York and have been here since Tuesday.  We stopped by Niagara Falls on the way up.  I had no idea how pretty the land immediately surrounding the falls is.
            There were wildflowers growing up and down the cliffs and banks.  The water was so blue it looks enhanced.  The falls were much quieter than I expected, and more peaceful, despite the crowds of  tourists.  I could have stayed much longer, but we were eager to get to my parent's house.

           The past few days have been busy getting ready for my parents to leave.  We moved Holden into his new room and set up his old room for my new brother.  One of the hens hatched a surprise clutch of chicks, and the baby bunnies are doing great.  

           I did get to go to Jenna's farm.  She was working with her gorgeous fell pony, Merlin, and their trainer, Dave.  I loved watching her and her pony.  They are perfect for each other.  After she was done she offered to let me ride.  I did, and she picked a wonderful gelding.  He is sturdy, but not clumsy.  He is short, but has enough majesty to make him seem 16 hands high.  He is very patient, but also alert and attentive.  His long black mane is just begging to be brushed and braided and fondled, and he tolerates hugs and affection with sighs.  His trot is smooth and his walk is a comfortable meandering pace.  I love him so much I can't even be jealous of Jenna.  I can't wait to see what they will be doing in three years and what special moments they share.

          Jenna was very kind and hospitable.  She She was not afraid to ask questions and seems willing to dive right into anything.  You can tell she loves her farm and the outdoors.  I admire her and her blog is one of the many things that has inspired me to be more of a producer, less of a consumer.  I also like her style.  Boots and jeans, with a celtic pendant hanging around her neck and a western shirt with  the sleeves rolled up.  The ensemble was topped off with a cowboy hat.  It's not the style that looks best on me, but Jenna pulls it off perfectly.
  
        I think you're getting the idea that I really like Jenna and her pony.  Therefore, one of the biggest honors I've ever received was being mentioned in her blog.  Here's the link if you want to read it.  I love reading her blog and never expected to be on it.  

     Jenna has offered  to let me ride Merlin any time I want while I am here.  I am planning on it, but I am working on doing some work for Jenna in return.  She could use it and I don't think I could do enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment