Sep 14, 2012

Flat Pattern 101

My husband and I plan on owning a farm someday.  Someday sooner, rather than later, but that's another story.  
I want to wear dresses and long skirts on our farm.  
Anyone who owns farm animals knows that the probability of getting dirty is very high and that grease, dirt, grass, and other stains may or may not come out.  
This being said, I am going to sew myself some farm dresses out of the scrap fabric and old table cloths I have.  
These will be functional, comfortable, and cute dresses, complete with pockets.  They will be sewn with the full intention of being worn and getting dirty.

I have never taken a sewing class and have only sewn one blouse from a pattern from beginning to end.  Conventional patterns do not fit me well and I have no idea how to alter clothing.
I have decided to remedy this -with these.
I don't remember where I got these books.  The copyrights are in the 60's and the fashions they contain are just as old.
Basic patterns don't change though, and the princess line dress is in three of the four books.
My first step will be to get someone to help measure me so I can draft my own waist sloper.
I'll post pictures when I get it done.

1 comment: