Oct 6, 2012

Hard Winter

Thought I'd give you all a heads up that the signs are pointing toward a hard winter in the Ozarks.
I personally have seen the following signs:
-Squirrels building nests close to the ground.  They do this to conserve energy climbing the tree, while flying creatures, such as hornets and birds, build their nests higher up than normal.
-3 woolly bear caterpillars that have had NO brown stripe.  Legend says the smaller the stripe, the harder the winter.
-Thicker than usual tomato skins.  My tomatoes have had extremely thick skins; thicker than I have ever seen before.
-Ring around the moon on multiple occasions. The more rings, the more snowfalls.
-Insects seeming to be on a mission, as opposed to meandering.

Being in the city, I haven't observed anymore signs.  Have you?
Are the pigs gathering sticks and the napes of your cow's neck woolier?
Are the corn husks thicker and the woodpeckers sharing a tree?

Let me know what signs you have seen, for or against a hard winter.

1 comment:

  1. A woolly bear climbed up my pant leg. I am sure he was trying to stay warm.

    ReplyDelete