Jan 12, 2013

Darn those socks

I'm sorry for the lack of posts.  It has been from lack of internet, not lack of desire.
Since the last post, I have learned to darn socks.  Sort of.
I read a how-to page on the internet a while ago, and without internet, I did it from memory.
I wove over the entire worn area, when the correct way would have put the weaving only over the hole.
Live and learn.
I'm still pleased with the way it turned out.

The original hole.  
I used a burnt out light bulb for my darning egg.  It worked beautifully and was easy to hold onto.

First I wove my yarn back and forth across the hole.  Starting at one side, I took the yarn across the hole, made a small stitch and brought it back across, so there are no strands on the inside.

Once I had finished going across the hole I worked up and down, weaving the yarn as I went.  I picked up a stitch before going back across, just like in the previous picture.  

Once finished, I tied off the yarn on the inside.  
Here is my incorrect, yet completely functional darning job.

In a correct darning job, I would have sewn all the way around the worn area with my yarn.  Then I would have used straight stitches back and forth, the only long strands happening over the hole, where there was no fabric left.  
From there I would have sewn up and down, only weaving when I cane to the hole.
Although my way worked fine, the correct way seems much less time consuming.




No comments:

Post a Comment