Sep 20, 2012

Cry, The Beloved Country

   This morning I finished Cry, the Beloved Country, by Alan Paton.  I now see why it is the favorite book of some people.  It is one I definitely would, and probably will, read again.  Let me reccomend it to you.
  The novel, which is set in South Africa, is divided into three books, and to be honest, I almost didn't read the last two.  The first book is so full of sorrow, fear, and dread that I didn't see how the story could recover in just two books.  The poor old parson, who travels to huge Johannesburg to find his sister and son, finds himself in a strange land filled with fear and sin.  After much searching, he discovers both his sister and son in the depths of this sin.  So ends book one.
   But book two and three are less about injustice and darkness, and more about kindness, compassion, and rebuilding.  The man takes in his expecting daughter-in-law, sister, and nephew, showing them love and compassion, and the people who help this parson are sincere and kind.
  The darkness and social injustices in this book remind me of Sinclair's The Jungle, but the presence of God in Cry, the Beloved Country makes all the difference.  There is forgiveness and healing, even in the midst of sorrow, making this a beautiful story.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment